Tuesday, January 27, 2009

RECIPE - My Momma's Oatmeal Cake

Before Christmas, I was thinking about all the yummy treats my mom baked when I was growing up. This cake was one of my favorites. It seems like it has been decades since I had this cake. Then I started thinking about when the last time was...probably junior high or earlier. So yes, it has been decades!

I made this cake last weekend and it is every bit as good as I remember it. It is also quick and easy.

Oatmeal Cake

1 c. quick oats
1 1/2 c. boiling water
1/2 c. butter (1 stick), softened
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/3 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Topping
4 TBS. butter, melted
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. milk
1 c. flaked coconut
1c. chopped nuts (Mom's recipe does not call for nuts, but I add nuts to almost everything!)

Preheat oven to 350F. Add the boiling water to the oats and let stand while mixing the other ingredients. Cream butter and sugars together. Add eggs and mix well. In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Gradually add to the creamed mixture. Add oats and mix well. Pour into a greased and floured 9x13 pan. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

While cake is baking, mix together the butter, brown sugar and milk for the topping. When cake is done remove from oven. Pour topping over hot cake. Sprinkle with coconut and nuts, if desired. Place cake under broiler until coconut begins to brown. Watch carefully, as once it starts, it browns quickly.

If you can wait, allow cake to cool before serving.

0 comments: