Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Meltdown Becomes Spring Cleaning

This post has nothing to do with the weather. It has to do with how far I can be pushed before I crack.

Some things you should know about me:
  • I hate to have my routine disrupted, even if I really have no routine.

  • While I can be blind to a little dust, I hate a dirty house.

  • I HATE TO CLEAN HOUSE!

We are two weeks into the installation of a heating/air conditioning system in our 120 year old home. Do you see where I'm going with this?

Last week, the crew was working under the house putting in the duct work for the downstairs unit. They had to dig out a lot of dirt. And not just any dirt but sandy, gritty dirt. It's funny how that stuff just seems to seep into the house through every crack and crevice. (And with a house as old as ours, there are lots of cracks and crevices!) Add into the mix a day where it rained all day with the crew coming in and out of the already dirty house.

Then take into consideration that after painting the center hallway (It runs the entire length of the house upstairs and downstairs; about twenty five feet long by 10 feet wide.) I told Larry that I did not want to put up any artwork including my antique mirrors until the HVAC installation had been complete. I left for a hair appointment on Thursday and upon returning found they had installed the thermostat right in the CENTER of the wall where my antique mirror collection was going to hang.

Can you blame me for having a meltdown? My poor husband was not too shocked when late Thursday afternoon I declared, "I hate this house!" I followed that quickly with the the statement that this was only a temporary feeling.

Friday, I put on my big girl panties and started to deal with the mess in the house. I started by removing everything from each room. Then wiping down the walls, woodwork, windows and floors. Before anything came back into the room, it too had to be cleaned. The downstairs cleaning is about complete.

Just in time as they are about finished installing the upstairs unit. No sandy gritty dirt up there. Only 120 year old plaster dust...

But on the bright side, I'm warm now. I will have my entire house clean come spring and I can spend lots of time in the yard and flower gardens. And I will be cool this summer.

And that thermostat? My wonderful husband tells me they make wireless thermostats these days and that he will get one and put it wherever I want.

0 comments: