Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursday - Sewing Basket

WOOHOO! It's Thursday again! My favorite blog day of the week as I get to see all the wonderful vintage things others have to share. Be sure to visit Suzanne's blog here to see all things vintage.

Last week, I shared some recent flea market finds. If you missed them, you can see them here. On that same weekend, I found this fabulous vintage sewing basket.


Here's a look at the beautiful blue satin lining.

Look at all the goodies in there! I didn't wait to get home to explore the contents.

The snaps cost all of fifteen cents! The metal piece on the left looks like a piece to a button hole attachment for a sewing machine.

The previous owner of this basket loved seam binding. There were five or six packages.

Several cards of buttons and a pair of pinking shears. It takes both hands to open these shears.

This box was inside the basket.

It holds some straight pins, a sewing machine bobbin, lace sewn to velcro, blue sequins, two small spools of thread, a seagull applique, and a puzzle piece.

I've never seen a zipper repair kit. This one cost all of thirty nine cents. The kit contains zipper wax, replacement slider and a tool to remove old slider. You just "TWIST MAGIC DIAL Jaws open up allowing permanent ZIPPER REPAIR. FIX ZIPPERS FAST! ELIMINATES ENTIRE ZIPPER REPLACEMENT".

This is an unopened package of "measure-clip hemmers". They are the "perfect aid to hemming without pins...measures and holds evenly up to 3" width...ideal for clothing, curtains, drapes". These clips look like long clothes pins with markings every half inch. The copyright on the package is 1970.

My favorite find in the sewing basket was this package of THRIFTEE NIFTY Liquid Fabric Mender. "Successor to the Needle and Thread". THRIFTEE NIFTY is a "new wonder product from the field of chemistry."

What sewing basket would be complete without...?


A hair trimmer?

I hope you enjoyed rummaging through my vintage sewing basket with me.




Photobucket

26 comments:

CC said...

Oooo, I love you sewing basket and all it holds. I've never heard of a zipper repair kit, however it make sense. You found a real treasure with your basket find. Happy VTT and have a lovely weekend.

Patty said...

Oh, I just love when someone posts a vintage sewing basket. Yours is pretty and there was some really great stuff in there. Score!

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

now I want that sewing basket.. hehehe just kidding.. and yours is pretty and with all vintagey sewing knick knacks.. happy VTT and thanks for sharing.. have a great day!

ClassyChassy said...

That was fun to explore! I love posts like the one you created today - thanks for the adventure!!!

Unknown said...

That was indeed a treasure! What fun to unearth the unexpected!

Coloradolady said...

This was so much fun, looking through this sewing box. I tell ya' one thing, I just paid 15.00 to replace the zipper in my daughters jeans, this little zipper repair kit would have been great to have. I tell ya' I have never heard of that before.

Loved you sewing basket and all the goodies inside...even the puzzle piece!

Have a wonderful weekend.

Miri said...

Love your sewing basket and all your sewing treasures...I'm still chuckling! Can't decide if the best find was the wonder of the world of chemistry Nifty fabric mender or the beard trimmer (for trimming pill on sweaters?)

I used to keep plaster impressions
of my kids hands in the bottom of my sewing box-seemed like a safe place!

SueLovesCherries said...

Gee, I wish my sewing basket had a hair trimmer - LOL! Must have been for some old lady's mustache (snicker!). That Nashville patch looks like a Boy Scout shoulder patch. And, really, did anyone actually use those hem clips? I don't think so! My fave is the Snap Fasteners card - looks like a posy!

Sarah said...

Thanks for the fun trip through your sewing basket. I always enjoy finding that unexpected item that has been stowed away!

Anonymous said...

what a fabulous sewing basket..a real treasure chockful of vintage sewing delights. btw the last item is used for depilling woollen jumpers..a very handy little gadget :)

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

That was great fun - it is interesting to see what someone dropped into their sewing basket. Lovely find.

Susan said...

Love the basket and the treasures inside. The pinking shears can be loosened up with some machine oil around the screw. And the last gadget is for removing pill from knitted sweaters.

JEWELGIRL said...

This is such a fun post! I love the
idea of seeing all the trinkets and
found sewing items inside the sewing
basket!

Roslyn said...

What a collection of goodies & a zipper repair kit> Wow never seen one of those either, thanks Bea.Happy VTT!

Donna said...

wow wow what a find ...lucky you!
blessings to all
donna

Ruby said...

Hi, loved the post. Sewing baskets are almost as much fun as button tins! Happy VTT
Ruby

Beca said...

That looks just like the basket my mother used to have. My mother sewed all the time and she had a basket just like that full of sewing notions. Neat!

Salmagundi said...

There certainly were a bunch of treasures in that pretty basket. Love the puzzle piece!! Where else do you put a missing piece? My problem would be to remember where I had put it for safe keeping!!! Sally

Picket said...

Ohhhh what a great treasure!!!!! I love stuff like that....thanks so much for coming by....hope you are having a great week!

Janet, said...

That basket sure was filled,something for everything. It reminds me of a ladies purse. I especially loved the buttons.

Neabear said...

What an interesting assortment of stuff in the cute sewing basket! Thanks for stopping by my blog as well!! I have a sister-in-law whose name is Bea. Seeing your blog makes me think of her. Happy Thursday!!

Threeundertwo said...

Great sewing basket! The hem clips actually seem like a pretty good idea. And I wonder if the zipper repair kit works?

I love looking at treasures like this.

Barbara Jean said...

Bea,
Fun sewing basket. You never know what you'll find in some of those things. =0)

You commented on looking for a buggy and them costing so much.
Do you mind if i ask what kind of price range antique stores are asking?
Thanks
Barbara Jean

Had the vintage buggy.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow. What a fun thing to run home and open up. That sewing basket is better than a chocolate filled Easter Basket.
How cute!

RetroRuth said...

I love those hemming clips. What a great find!

Reading Rosie said...

That is totally a great find. I love sewing baskets and have one of my own, but it is not "retro". I am going to whine for a week now over wanting a retro sewing basket like Bea!