Friday, June 5, 2009

Finished for Friday - Well, Almost


Lit and Laundry

Last week, I set a goal for myself. This room, which needs to be painted and decorated for a second guest room, was going to get decluttered.

How did I do?
I still have some blankets and quilts to reorganize and place in storage. There are family photos we need to decide what to do with. Other than that, it is decluttered.

You know the hardest part of this job? Not digging through all this stuff, but finding a place to put it. If you live in an old home like ours, you know that there are no closets really. In the 3600 square feet of our house, there are four closets totaling forty eight square feet.

So what did I do with all that stuff? There were several boxes of kitchen items that I did not unpack when we first moved because "The Plan" was to remodel the kitchen first. Since that job has been moved way down the list, I unpacked those boxes, washed and washed and washed items then rearranged my six cabinets and three drawers to accommodate the things I wanted to keep.

This pile of things will go into the attic in the garage.

These items will go back in the guest bedroom after it is repainted.

I created this little dining area on our back porch so Hubs and I can dine al fresco occasionally.

The tablecloth was placed on the table to remind Hubs that this is not another surface for things like this:


All the stuff in the next two pictures are marked and ready to go in our yard sale next weekend. To me, that in itself is a big accomplishment as pricing items for a yard sale is a large task.

I feel so much better about this area now that I have all of this *stuff* sorted. Thanks to all my friends that offered encouragement in this endeavor. My friend at Lit and Laundry offered good advice when she told me the saying, "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." Every time I went into that room, I'd tell myself to just take two more bites...

Lit and Laundry
hosts "Finished for Friday". Click over there to see what others have done this week. What have you finished this week?



<span class=

6 comments:

Patty said...

Wow, Bea, you got a lot done! I enlarged the pictures so I could see everything up close and personal -- I like looking at other people's houses. I love your baseboards and the trim around the doors. And, the fireplace too. When will the guest room be finished? I might need to drop in for a visit then. :) Great de-cluttering job!

Keetha Broyles said...

Clutter is sooooo hard to fight - - - reminds me of kudzu, if you stand still long enough it will grow right over you.

Busy Bee Suz said...

You have really made some great progress. You should be proud...so, how does the elephant taste?????
Love your al fresco dining area....and you plan to keep it decluttered!!! Does the hubby read your blog? are these HINTS???
;)
Happy Saturday!

Cheryl Lage said...

Omigoodness! That is WONDERFUL progress! (I'd count it as "finished" too!)

Great work!

Threeundertwo said...

Fantastic! You've worked hard!

I absolutely love the pink luggage on the pink luggage rack! What a fun piece for a guest room.

Anonymous said...

Looking good! Keep at it. I will post my update tomorrow - looks like you are ahead by a mile indeed! ~Kelly

unDeniably Domestic