Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursday - Weekend Shopping Finds


Welcome to my weekly post for Vintage Thingies Thursday. VTT is a place for lovers of old, retro and vintage to share their wonderful treasures so others can oohh and aahh. Sometimes they even drool over your things. Suzanne is the host for this weekly meme and it just so happens, she and I were doing the same thing last weekend...Looking for treasures at local flea markets. Here's what I found: A mustache tea cup. It is just so delicate. There are a few chips in the front but not enough to detract from its loveliness. Since I found this treasure, I've been wondering if these tea cups were made for females with too much testosterone or males with too much estrogen?

Here is our Ashley sporting a vintage Girl Scout beret that cost me a quarter. The Girl Scout motto is "Be Prepared." You can tell Ashley was never a Girl Scout because she was NOT prepared for this latest humiliation.

I have had these vintage rolling pins for a while, but did not have a nice way to display them. They look great in this crock I found this weekend, don't you think?
Harry, my favorite vendor at our local flea market, knows exactly what I like. He had these things set back just for me. A green handled spoon and a green handled sifter. Can you see what it says on that sifter? "BEE"!!! How could I not buy this baby? If you missed my past post showing my vintage flour sifters, you can click here and here.
This little basket may or may not be vintage, but for a quarter I could not go wrong. It is not gold any more though. You will have to wait a couple of weeks to see what it looks like and what I do with it.

Does this vase just shout, "ART DECO"? I love its shape, design and color.
After spending Saturday afternoon at the flea market, I talked Hubs into spending the evening with me at the local auction house. Actually, my exact words were, "I'm going to the auction tonight. Do you want to go?" Look what I brought home.

Some rusty tins. I first thought that the can with lid was an old lunch pail. Now I'm not sure.


Here is a closer look at the pie tin. Crusty pie. The white spots on the tin are the cloth beneath showing through the holes in the tin. These holes must have helped make the pie crusty.
A Revere tea kettle and a copper pot with porcelain knob. It is stamped with Coppercraft Guild, Taunton, Mass.
I love the red pitchers on the front of these metal canisters.
And speaking of red...That is one of the favorite colors of the gals participating in VTT, especially our host Suzanne. But the following red things are all mine! Na-na-na-boo-boo! Ruby red glassware. All in mint condition except for the two cup saucers that have small chips in the edge.

Four red enamel cups.

A red plaid Thermos lunch box with matching Thermos. The Thermos has been used and washed so much that it has faded to orange.
This week, I have been busy cleaning out an upstairs room that will become our second guest bedroom. You can click here to see what it was like before I started. In the coming weeks, I will show you all the wonderful vintage things I have found buried in this room. I still have not found my vintage cracker jar and am getting worried. There are only two more boxes and I can not think that they are in with "books" and "artwork".

On Tuesday, I posted some vintage mirrors, picnic baskets and lap tray that I found and already have displayed. Click here to see those.


Hurry over to Suzanne's place and see what she found at a flea market. While you are there, you can also see what others are sharing this week, thanks to Mr. Linky.

Photobucket

29 comments:

Roslyn said...

Congrats, I see you are making progress on the guest room & unearthing lots of other vintage treasure.

Unknown said...

You've got a real variety for us this week, Bea. That looks like a lunch pail to me, too. I feel bad for Ashley, you should take your own picture, too and crop them together!

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

Happy VTT.. your shavers mug/cup is pretty.. love the flowers.. i have one too.. and the rest of the kitchenware are great find! love the rolling pins and the flour sifters. Have a great day!

Amy said...

so cool Bea! I love the way your dog is modelling the hat!

Marie Reed said...

Is Ashley seling cookies too! I could really go for some thin mints:)

Keetha Broyles said...

Love everything in this post - - - and I gotta admit I wondered the SAME thing about the mustache cup!!!! So dainty and beautiful for someone sporting a stache!!!

Anonymous said...

When I was a Brownie, I would dream of the day when I could become a Girl Scout and wear the beret. Of course, by the time I became a Girl Scout, the berets were replaced by ball caps. So sad.

Great finds! Thanks for sharing.

SueLovesCherries said...

wow, did you get a lot of treasures this week! I like those canisters, too!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Wow you hit the jackpot this week. Seems you will need maybe a third guestroom to fit it all?
I would arm wrestle you for the Bee Sifter. ;)
Suz

Coloradolady said...

What a wonderful post today, and what fun and cute items you found.

Now I had to laugh out loud at poor Ashley... that is the cutest picture ever...but she does not look like a happy camper....girl scout I mean.

Loved all your finds this week, I can not find a favorite....but then again, the reds are wonderful!

Your room looks like one of mine....a work in progress.....but so fun when we are finished...right?

Have a great VTT.

Postcardy said...

I don't have my Girl Scout beret but I have some of my other Girl Scout stuff. Each item is in a different place, so I will have to do quite a bit of digging to get it all together for a photograph.

Unknown said...

Very funny post on the mustache cup. You're absolutely right. Oh, and those rolling pins have found themselves a great home. They do look lovely displayed like that. Please visit and browse for a while; if you like what you see, click the "Follow" button so that we can inspire one another often!

★Carol★ said...

You're so funny! Love the pic of your dog wearing the GS hat! You found SO many wonderful things. The rolling pins look just perfect in that crock, and that ruby glass is! I can see that sitting in a window. I've been looking for one of those lunch boxes. They go for around $10 on Ebay, and about the same at antique stores. I'm sure I'll find one at my price some day!

Miri said...

Too many wonderful things! And I love how you displayed the vintage trays and mirrors from the Big Clean Up!

Maybe its just a trick of the light, but your dog's eyes are green to match his GS hat :)

CC said...

Such wonderful treasures you found.
I'm not sure which is my favorite..but that flour sifter is the greatest. And all that red..you lucky girl. Happy VTT, hope your weekend is a lovely one.

Anonymous said...

WOW you've got some really neat stuff here. My dad would've had a field day with all your goodies.

Nanette Merrill said...

Such lovely treasures. I don't know if I can pick a favorite. I love old kitchen metal things though. And that mustache teacup is a hoot!

elsa said...

(((WOW)))
your auctions/flea market have to be the best of the best for you to have scored all of these treasures in one day!

i love the kettle and that lunch box!!! that lunch box is awesome

viridian said...

So many wonderful things! I have only one for VTT! The metal can with the lid *might* be a lard can. Mustache tea cup? I've never seen one before.

Donna said...

what neat thing'ys,, and what about that sweet furbaby!

LV said...

You had some really good flea marlet finds. Thanks for sharing them with us. Too, I appreciate your visit to my blog.

Susan said...

Ashley is one cute model. I hope you let her take the hat off. The rolling pins look great in the crock. But be still my heart--that was my lunch box in grade school. Red plaid and I had a matching umbrella to go with it.

Anonymous said...

Oh my. The lunchbox and is making me swoon and now I'm all worried about moustache mugs. It gives me the shivers to think of my man drinking from a sissy tea cup.

JEWELGIRL said...

Lots of treasures here, you sound
like you had fun finding them!
Love the mustache cup and all the
red items, canisters, red glass,
lunch box! Can't wait to see your
next post of goodies!!!

Threeundertwo said...

Love love love your vintage finds, especially that fabulous art deco vase and the crock for the rolling pins! So many wonderful things to look at here.

Anonymous said...

Oh look at Ashley! A far better beret on Ashley than ever on me! Thank you for the laugh! ~Kelly

unDeniably Domestic

Anonymous said...

i collect kitchenalia too and i especially like the sifter & spoon..btw the rolling pins looks great displayed in the crock :)

Sophie said...

I like the red theme -- especially those sweet canisters, the illustrations are so clear, what a find! Thank you for stopping by my blog, have a great weekend!

Jen said...

Oh, I love the Girl Scout beret - I'm always on the look out for vintage GS stuff. The rolling pins have got to be my favorite though, they're darling.